Monday, March 07, 2011

Monday Afternoon

I just got Clara down for a nap and my cup of coffee heated up, so I thought I'd take a few minutes to post on my blog. I am thinking about spending more time blogging and less time on Facebook, since that will give me the chance to look back at archives later and reminisce. :)

Clara and I took a drive down to Hannah's house to spend the night on Saturday. Shannon has been working extra hard at work lately because the lady above him is out sick for eight weeks, and he was going to have to work all day Saturday, so we took off! It was Clara's longest car ride yet, but she did great. On the way there, she only cried once. We stopped at Wal-Mart to get some lunch and take a break, and while I was changing her diaper, I let her play with the keys. When I took them back to drive, she cried. She wasn't particularly happy on the way home once it got dark, and she could not see her toys. Fortunately, that only lasted about twenty minutes, and then we were home. We had a wonderful visit with Hannah and co. Clara thought Sam was hilarious and just laughed and laughed at him, but she wasn't such a fan of Owen, since he thought slapping her in the face was a great activity.

I am doing really well. God has been helping me to be more and more grateful for all the blessings in my life, as well as the difficulties and problems. He is teaching me to be more humble and more meek. My pastor's wife shared a quote the other day...I can't remember who said it, but it went something like, "True humility is recognizing that everything you have is a gift." Some good friends of Shannon and his family (the three siblings came to our wedding...the brother was one of our ushers) had a significant loss this week. One of their girls has been courting a young man since early last year, and on Thursday evening he passed away after a very long and tiring battle with cancer. I feel so honored to have gotten a glimpse of his faith and trust in the Lord before he went home. For some reason, this situation just really affected me, especially remembering the death of Shannon's mom , now more then two and a half years ago...the past few weeks, I have been really wishing I could call her up and let her know how Clara is doing, etc. I guess that through all of that, God has been working humility and gratefulness in my heart, recognizing His gifts all around me. I am so grateful for my family, my home, my church, my friends, my life, and so many other simple pleasures. We are so close to eternity. I don't want to hold onto the things of this earth too tightly. We are each one breath away from being with God and worshiping at His throne in purity and perfect righteousness, throwing off the wickedness and suffering of this world. So...all that to say, I am very grateful. I need to not complain so much. I need to thank God in every circumstance and serve Him fully and wholeheartedly. I am grateful. I am holding my baby close and kissing her. I am going to make spending time with family and friends a bigger priority, and try not to worry about money and get upset or annoyed about trivial things. Life is so short.

So, anyway, that's what I have been thinking about. I feel like I've been on the edge of tears for days now! God is so good. I have been listening to these two songs over and over again:


No comments: