I can't wait for Christmas. Martha, Joel, Oliver, and Elliott are flying in on Christmas Eve, and Naomi will be up often, I'm sure. It will be so good to see everyone again.
We were grieved to hear the news that Denise Sproul passed away this week. It brings to mind a lot of memories of when Shannon's mom passed away. It's hard to believe it's been over three years now. I am still so grateful that I got to be there and spend time with her the week before. When I left, she told me that I was just like one of her own. Clara has been playing with the doll that "Nana" got for her before she was born. It has become one of her favorites.
One of the things that I really appreciate about my husband is something he learned through the death of his mother. He always chooses relationships over anything else. Being with people is never a burden to him; it's eternal. He has never once not wanted to go over to my parents' house or my sister's house or have friends over or do anything with anybody. He always encourages me to have friends over, make the effort to go visit relatives, etc. He very strongly believes that relationships are the most important thing.
As our family comes into town this weekend, and we reconnect and spend time with everyone, I can't help but think about how that's what Christmas is all about. God with us. God came to be with us. To understand and empathize. To give His life for us. To have a relationship with us. He promises to never leave us or forsake us. He's the Friend who sticks closer than a brother.
I'm going to hug my family tight this Christmas. When I think about those who aren't here or who have already gone before us to heaven, I'm going to try to remember that Jesus is the Friend who sticks closer than a brother. He proved it when He came to earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment